Tuesday, June 2, 2009

PICKING A LANE


"Living is like driving," my grandmother used to say. "You have to pick a lane."
Kathleen Flinn
The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry

Sage. But, the good news is that you can (and will) change lanes! As an adolescent I remember people saying, "Her (and, yes, it always seemed to be a her at that time in the culture) life is ruined." Un-uh. One event does not ruin a life unless it is a death sentence or a life in prison sentence and then I guess you've got me there.

I know I feared through life worrying about making the right choices. And, there was always the puzzling God's will... Whew! What a relief when I came to understand that there is plenty of room in life for a Plan B or Plan C or Plan Z for that matter.

I still believe choices are important--character shaping and building. I hold deeply to these words that I gleaned from Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:


How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us,
and, keeping that picture in mind,
we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.

No comments: