Monday, July 27, 2009

WORKING - NOT

Millennium Park - Cloud Gate
Churchill and Klehr Photography

No jobs so far this summer. I haven't really felt like working, but I'm used to structuring the rest of my life around these contract jobs. I focus entirely on work for a short period of time and then do everything else I like/want the rest of the time. The bank account gets healthier and I spend a bit more.

There is nothing I can do to make things happen. The economy has had an impact and therefore economics--supply/demand. I am floundering and looking for some meaningful and productive outlets that are flexible enough that I will be free to take the first good job that comes along.

I have committed to baking for an event August 6 and 7. My part will be charitable, but the event coordinator will pay for the ingredients. Banana bread and several kinds of cookies--yet to be determined.

And, on Wednesday I will go into the City with friends for a few hours--Millennium Park and a nice lunch unless it storms. If it is rainy, we won't be able to stroll through Millennium Park, and that is to be the main event. Still, we will have some good conversation enroute and a chance to catch up with each other.

We baby boomers have hit retirement age, and we don't intend to go down without a fight. Our lives have been much more mobile and active than the previous generation and we don't really know how to do nothing. We understand slowing down--our bodies and spirits are dictating that--but we have learned to be validated by doing instead of being, productivity and accomplishment.

I am praying for direction and fulfillment. God has gifted me generously and I know he is not done with me yet. I do react to opportunities to serve others, but I need a couple of meaningful commitments or I need to get back to work. He knows me; he created me. I am learning, still, to lean and depend on him.

No comments: