Wednesday, August 27, 2008

TRUST PART 2


I don't remember when this happened. It might have been the scariest thing that
ever happened to me growing up. My dad freaked out and ran his car into an electrical pole. Mr. Quick brought dad home to pack a bag and then checked him into the hospital--the psych ward.

Wait a minute! That's mom's trick. Now what will be do? You can't trust her because she spends most of the time detached, depressed, and psychotic. He is the sane one--angry, but sane. So, who do we trust.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not into your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6

It was weird, she became focused, centered, and calm when he fell apart.

It must have been just before Thanksgiving because someone brought us a food basket. I think I cringed, but I usually wasn't too proud to take free food.

He wasn't in the hospital very long. The whole deal was over in a week and I can imagine he was pretty embarrassed about it.

Now for the crazy part of this story. It happened during a two-week evangelical crusade being held at the exposition gardens. Jimmy Johnson was the evangelist. Mom said that dad was "under conviction" and that is why he cracked up. I didn't even believe that then. I was pretty smart for a kid.

I did trust God. I don't think I could have survived without trusting God. Just sometimes it would have been nice to trust someone with arms to hug me close and a voice to whisper, "It's okay. I'm here. You don't have to worry. Just sleep and dream happy dreams and wake up and be a kid. Run, laugh, sing, dance, make music. Be a kid."

No comments: