Saturday, August 9, 2008

WHAT CHILDREN NEED FROM THEIR PARENTS

This was more than an Ah-Ha" moment. This was truly a life changing revelation. JF, the counselor, asked me to make a list of what children need from their parents and then refine it by what I got from mine. I drew a blank and looked it. She suggested I start by thinking about what Chris and I have given to our kids. So... here's the list. The yellow words are those my parents fully supplied; the blue ones indicate needs partially met; the red ones are those not met by my parents on any level.

acceptance
approval
balance
boundaries
career guidance
caring
common sense
consistency
consolation
discipline
education guidance
emotional development
empowerment
encouragement
energy
enthusiasm
faith
financial management
financial needs met
forgiveness
freedom
goal setting
good health
good mental health
good nutrition
guidance
humor
independence modeled and given
intellectual stimulation
judgment
nurturing
one-on-one
parenting skills modeled
perspective
pride
prioritizing modeled
protection
prudence
recognition of giftedness
respect
role model
roots & wings
security
self-esteem
sensitivity
spiritedness
study skills
style
support
time
time management
unconditional love
validation
wisdom
work ethic

No comments: