Sunday, August 10, 2008

CHRISTMAS - THE CLOSET, ETC.

This nightgown fit inside the doll I am holding.

I don't remember much about Christmases, except that we always got new pajamas and an outfit to wear for the church Christmas program. Our family opened gifts on Christmas morning, but we opened our new pajamas Christmas Eve so that when we were allowed down the stairs in the morning we were snug in our new togs.

One year I went snooping. I remember this. In the very small hall coat closet I found a set of housekeeping implements--child-sized. A broom, a mop, a dust pan... I got found out and scolded by my mom. On Christmas morning there were no housekeeping tools under the tree. I whispered to mom. She ran to the closet and retrieved them. She had forgotten. They weren't for me.

Another year we got our first portable stereo. I was so proud because my twin girlfriends got a portable stereo that year, too. For their room, while ours was for the family. But, still... I was so thrilled. Then a couple of days later it quit working. Dad replaced it with a plain record player. I was sad.

No comments: