Monday, August 18, 2008

OUTING THE FAMILY

Wondering how many apple carts I am going to upset... When will the jig be up? Knock, knock... Who's there? Fun. Fun who? Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional! Lame, but it makes the point...

Jami Attenberg mentions in the context of her novel The Kept Man that, artists have to pretend their parents are dead. I get that. I don't claim to be an artist, but if you are going to blog about your family of origin, you have to pretend that none of them will ever read the blog.

We all re-write our histories. And, I have known for a long time that my 4 sisters and brother grew up in 5 separate families. We all keep what we can handle, stuff that which is intolerable, and revise and improve the stories. We may write our own stories--I totally buy-in to that--but, we also rewrite our own stories. Don't ever try to reach consensus with your siblings. It won't happen.

And, don't even start the conversation with your parents. Wait to tell your stories until they have passed on, or hope that they don't read or know anyone who reads blogs.

The names have been changed to protect the [not so] innocent.

No comments: